Sunday, August 30, 2009

Summer Is Not Over.



Summer isn't over! Yes, I'm wearing more clothes at this very moment than a rugged mountain man might wear in mid-October in Montana. (Remember socks?!? They're so April 2009!) A farmer at Added Value expressed to me that summer was already far behind him, a piece of fluff in a dryer vent. (Like compost, I amended and ameliorated that last part.) I disagree, vehemently! I present you with cold, hard, proof that summer is not over yet.

Exhibit A: The Calendar. Summer does not officially end until September 22. This should be enough to convince the reader that I am right and the farmer is dead wrong. Nonetheless, the following points serve to illuminate summery season signifiers from the LAST TWO WEEKS. Does this look like autumn to you?

  • I didn't think so. This is what sunset looks like in summer: golden glow. The sun's heading down, but against her will. She wants to stay and play, so she lingers for as long as possible.
  • This is me teaching teenagers about honeybees, surprised by how competent I sound on the subject. Do you see a classroom? No. Because its summer vacation.


Some responses from teens:
-To the drone's loss of genitalia and life when he mates with the queen: "Yo, why she gotta do that?"
-In response to the honey-tasting portion of the lesson: "I'm gonna get diabetes from this."
-To the fact that the worker bees, the majority of the hive, are all female: "That's sexist!"
-Student: "Is this a picture of you as a little girl?" Me: "No, that's a picture of me from March."


  • My original intention was to find out the name of this flower and it's growing season to prove that it is still summer. However, technology has, once again, failed to live up to my genius ideas, and there exists no contraption wherefore to download this photo into a flower database and retrieve its common name.

I like to know the names of things, which is why I have been compiling my own flower database of sorts, that will go up once I identify some of the tricky ones with my team of experts. (My dad.) Once I find out the name I will revise this post and thus strengthen my argument! Wha-ha-ha-ha!

  • Picnics. Need I say more?

Yes, you say? Fine. Would an elderly painter set up shop outside if there were the chance of catching a chill? I think not.


Whoa, elderly painter 1-2 punch!

  • This delectable nectarine, sweet with tangy juices, was grown locally. Booyah.

I think I've made my point loud and clear: don't believe the farmer when he tells you summer is dead and gone. Let's not mourn just yet. We've still got some fire in us, don't we? 'Cause if being pumped and rearing to go is wrong, I don't wanna be right!


I've decided to form a team called Summerbusters, made up of highly skilled funsultants with can-do spirits. Don't you want to be somebody's funhero in these waning days of summer? (Funshero if you're a girl.) Delivering 100% pure fun to whomever is lucky enough to hang out with us, bustin' out the funglasses like it's nobody's biznass, you know, normal funsultant work. (Contact me for an application.)

3 comments:

  1. i would like to apply. can i schedule an interview for later today, please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better bust out your best party pants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to bust up your summer, but many of my generation believe that summer is over the day after Labor Day. That's why you never wear white after Labor Day.

    ReplyDelete